Call: (770) 993-9217

2986 Grandview Avenue NE Atlanta, GA 30305 Located in the heart of Buckhead | Directions

2986 Grandview Avenue NE Atlanta, GA 30305 Located in the heart of Buckhead | Directions

Call

The Tabernacle

The Tabernacle is a mid-size performance hall situated in Downtown Atlanta, Georgia. Opening in 1911 as a church, the building was transformed into a music place in 1996. It is owned and handled by concert promoter Live Country Entertainment and has a capacity of 2,600 individuals. Given that its rebranding, lots of notable acts performed at the location, including: Guns N’ Roses, The Black Crowes, Adele, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Robbie Williams, Alice in Chains, Bob Dylan, Prince & The New Power Generation, Lana del Rey and Atlanta’s own Mastodon, and Blackberry Smoke.1

The structure is over a century old and has a different history. Dr. Len G. Broughton was hired from Virginia to become pastor of Third Baptist Church in Atlanta in March 1898. Within a year he had founded a new Baptist Tabernacle church on the southwest corner of Luckie and Harris streets (now the middle of Centennial Olympic Park).2

Broughton was carefully related to the church in its early years, leading the local press to describe it as “Broughton’s Tabernacle,” though this was never ever the official name of the church or any of its buildings. The new church was quite effective and had actually to be expanded several times to accommodate development.3

However his Board of Deacons discovered the cost expensive and declined to buy it. As a result, Broughton himself and a few of his deacons purchased the home on July 7, 1906, and gave it to the church. reported the $52,000 deal on its front page, reporting it as “one of the most crucial genuine estate and church deals ever made in Atlanta” and described an auditorium “8 or ten stories in height” and estimated building and construction cost at $250,000.4

H. Hunt’s original proposed design, 1907 The building was created by kept in mind Chattanooga designer Reuben Harrison Hunt, together with three other structures for the exact same website consisting of a nurses dorm and a medical facility building. (None of these other buildings survive to the present day). The strategies were revealed in November 1907 and depict a church building rather bigger than what was finally built, extending all the way to the corner of Luckie and Spring Street

The auditorium would seat 4,000 people (consisting of the galleries) and the Sunday school facilities listed below might seat 3,000. The rostrum might accommodate a chorus of 500 individuals and featured a pipeline organ that cost $15,000. The original scheduled opening remained in May 1911, however this was eventually delayed. The first services in the brand-new structure were held on September 3, 1911 start with a Sunday school at 9:30 (participated in by 2,000).3

A week-long dedication for the church was held from September 10 to 17, 1911, during which as numerous as 8,000 individuals crowded into the auditorium and hundreds more were turned away. On the extremely first day in the new structure, Broughton gave a preaching criticizing local political leaders for standing in the method of restriction.4

These consisted of (then Vice President choose) Calvin Coolidge, and others. Guest religious speakers appeared as well, consisting of Russell Conwell, and George Washington Truett. Photo of the rostrum revealing the choir seats and large pipeline organ, 1920 The congregation reached its peak in the 1950s with a subscription of over 3,000.5

By the 1980s, presence at the church had actually diminished to around 500, and it had trouble drawing in an irreversible pastor. An attempt by the city federal government to provide the building historical status was withstood in 1989, the members citing a loan plan essential to make sure the survival of the church.

Next up: National Center for Civil and Human Rights